Zucchini and Cheese Damper
Damper is a traditional Australian campfire bread that’s made without yeast, so is less fiddly than making bread. It’s perfect to serve warm with soup or a dinner salad.
Zucchini & Cheese Damper
Write a review
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups extra sharp cheese, shredded
- 1 zucchini*, grated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- * Don't let the zucchini put you off - it doesn't add anything significant flavor wise but keeps the damper moist.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the first four ingredients together in a large bowl with a whisk.
- Add the shredded cheese and the grated zucchini to the dry ingredients and gently mix until well combined.
- Gently fold the milk into the dry ingredients gradually. Add a little of the water at a time to form a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured board and form into a round shape about the size of a dinner plate and about 1.5 inches thick.
- With the blade a large knife, indent the top of the round shape into 8ths.
- Bake for between 25 to 30 minutes until cooked and golden.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.