Grapefruit and Fennel Salad
This is a really useful salad recipe to have in your back pocket. It’s very fresh tasting and quick to prepare which makes it the perfect appetizer before a heavy meal.
While a lot of people shy away from fennel, the grapefruit and the dressing balance out the aniseed tasting fennel.
- 1 *fennel bulb
- 2 medium sized grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the stalks with the fronds from the top of the fennel and cut the bulb in half. Now, for each half of the bulb, remove the core (the solid white stem at the bottom of the fennel bulb) by cutting a triangle to remove most of it. Next, very thinly slice the fennel bulb across into half rings. Transfer the sliced fennel into a large mixing bowl.
- Supreme the grapefruits and place the segments in the bowl with the fennel. Squeeze the leftover grapefruit pulp over the supremes and fennel. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
- Place all of the ingredients in a screw top jar and shake until well combined. Refrigerate until prior to serving.
- When ready to serve, split the fennel and grapefruit evenly between four plates. Drizzle the dressing over the fennel and grapefruit. Serve immediately.
- * Fennel is sometimes referred to as Anise