Looking for something moreish to nibble on when serving drinks? You should definitely give these a go!
Write a review
- 9 oz plain flour
- 9 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 9 oz frozen butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Grate cheese using the shredding attachment of your food processor. Transfer cheese to a separate bowl.
- Grate frozen butter using the shredding attachment of your food processor. Transfer butter to a separate bowl.
- Replace shredding attachment with the steel blade attachment. Add flour and cheese, blend until mixed. Add frozen butter, salt and cayenne pepper. Blend until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured board and roll out to 3/8 inch in thickness with a rolling pin. Cut into finger sized strips or desired shapes and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and chill for at least 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake until golden brown - approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- A wine bottle makes a great substitute for a rolling pin if you don't have one.
Make Ahead Tip
- Cheese straws can be stored up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. Crisp straws prior to serving by baking in a 400 degree F oven for a few minutes.