This delicious, moist Applesauce Cake is very easy to make and is perfect for entertaining at home, or to take to someone’s house.
This delicious, moist Applesauce Cake is very easy to make and is perfect for entertaining at home, or to take to someone's house.
Write a review
- 4-1/2 oz (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) room temperature butter
- 1-1/2 cups soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups store-bought applesauce - sweetened but unflavored
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoonground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/3 cup golden raisins*
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries**
- * Referred to as Sultanas in some countries
- ** Dried cherries can be used instead
- Special Equipment: A ring pan or a bundt pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Butter or spray a ring cake pan or a bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy and light. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, making sure to beat well after each egg has been added. Add the applesauce to the butter and sugar mixture, beat until well combined.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl. Add the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture, combining well but not over mixing. Lastly, add the raisins and cranberries to the cake mixture and gently fold in.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan, evenly spreading out the top once you've finished. Place the pan in the center of the preheated oven and bake until cooked - approximately 50 - 60 minutes.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or cold by itself.
- Individual pieces can be reheated in a microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.